Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Fly Swap

17K views 104 replies 13 participants last post by  1080tommy 
#1 ·
Since i see a lot of you are either starting out ( and quite well i must add) or seasoned tyers , i was wondering if any of you were up for a Fly Swap ? We do it all time out here in Colorado on the coloradofisherman.com forum ( im silent_light there ) with great success and enthusiasm.

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/ ... ic=38674.0

For those of you unfamiliar with this, heres how it works :

We get 10-12 tyers signed up
We pick a Theme or Style to tie ( ie: favorite fly, caddis, parachutes, hopper-dropper..)
Then we normally tie 2 to 6 flies of a single ( or double) pattern for each of the other tyers. So if there were 10 signed up, each person would then tie 18 flies total ( or more)

The originator of the swap is the Swap Meister, and handles the collection and distribution of the flies. THis is normally done via mail. However, in the past, we have met on the river and swapped there.

We're in the midst of doing a "Best Fly This Year" swap over on coloradofisherman, where we're trading our best pattern of the past year. Mine is a killer wired caddis pupa, works everywhere there is a hungry fish - betting it would do great in the Driftless ( HINT HINT!!)

So, any of you up for having some good fun trading flies, tying ideas, etc ? Open to ALL abilities !

Jim
JW Custom Flies
Lakewood, Colorado
720 Vise - Pro Staff
http://www.fly-wheel.net

See less See more
#83 ·
1080tommy said:
Thanks for getting them together and shipping them back out to us. I will say it again, this was a great excercise for my and really helped my fly tying ability.
CMiller said:
Yeah, me too. I rarely tie more than 1 or 2 at a time.
You know, this is exactly why these swaps are great !! You LEARN, You GIVE, you come away a better tyer ! Doesn't matter how long you've been tying, there's always something new out there to pick up on. Notice how this thread had a good discussion on tying technique as well ?

Glad you all had some fun, learned something new, and found a renewed passion for tying !

Enjoyed doing this, and wouldn't mind hosting again - good flies tyed by all of ya !

#87 ·
To everyone waiting for me i was not able to finish the flies because my grandma was in the hospital for her cancer ( Which didn't spread :D ) and on top of that i had a lot of school work. I was visiting her a lot and helping to take care of her dog. I apologize because i knew i said that i would finish the flies by next week but this just came up. Again, I am sorry to all and next time maybe i will need to space out tying the flies more. :)

#88 ·
Good to know she's ok, hope she continues to get well.

Im going to put all the flies in the mail toorrow, should have them in your mailboxes by thursday.

Ill also post pics later on.

If anyone wants to do another swap, just say so !

#91 ·
Ok folks, heres the goods ! Enjoyed hosting this one, glad you all got some time behind the vise as well ! Any time you want to do another - count me in !:

SJS :

1080tommy :

Charged ( 1 of 3 colors ) :

CMiller :

JwCustomFlies :

#95 ·
Wow! After seeing the photos of the other streamers you guys have come up with. I have to admit that I'm little embarrassed by my own capabilities. I'm fairly new at tying myself, and thought that the beer-cap flies would be an interesting change up from the norms that typically get associated with fly fishing. I've never spent much time fishing with streamers before, and really don't have much experience with them.

Awhile back while searching the internet, I happened across a website that was selling some beer cap "spoon" type of lures, it was then that the thought first came across my mind to apply the concept towards fly fishing. I mentioned this earlier, but I caught my largest fly-fishing bass on a epoxy minnow and I think that my beer-cap fly offers a similar profile (its just larger). I'm really hoping that there not too heavy for you guys to cast. I think they will probably require at the least a 7wt. The 6 weedless flies also have a glass rattle, the two other versions are silent. The 6 flies that contain the Berghoff cap, they're the ones that incorporated the bear pelt.

Over the past several years, I've almost exclusively fly fish with nymphs that I have been using to target carp and panfish on the Dupage river. I've come up with some working Dupage nymph patterns that I have experienced some success with.

If you guys want to to do another nymph swap, Id love to join in again. I'd feel a lot more comfortable tying a few nymphs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.