5/26/17 MTB Tournament

Vulcan Lakes - Crystal Lake, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

5/26/17 MTB Tournament

Postby rgordon83 » May Fri 26, 2017 3:46 pm

A small group of us from Mystery Tackle Box took the day off to fish a small tournament today on Three Oaks. We had 4 boats, 2 people per boat, and fished Major League Fishing rules (most fish over 14").

We launched at 7am. Clear skies and no wind. Water temps at 56 degrees. Saw some smallies and largies on beds around the islands near the bridge, but after 45 minutes with no takers we decided to move on. Went across the lake to the south side of the lake and started at the large point with plans to work our way east. At about 8:20 I caught the first of 4 smallies. It was a nice 17"er. About 10 min later I had an 18"er, prob about 3lbs. We saw a bunch on beds and they were pretty aggressive. Had another 18" smallie about 15 min later. Continued to work the southern bank over the next 2 hours. Over that period the wind picked up and some cloud cover came in. Picked up a few largies ranging from 14"-16". Worked our way into the cove and the bite died down so we decided to circle back around to the point on the south bank and work it again. By now there was a strong breeze and moderate cloud cover. Water temps were just about 60 degrees. Hooked up on another beautiful 18" bed smallie, but after fighting it for a minute in a half, she shook loose. Next cast I hooked up with a 17" smallie on another bed.

All-in-all we fished from 7-12:30 and caught 9 keepers (4 smallies) and lost two more good ones. I caught 1 fish on a 4.5" BioSpawn PlasmaTail and the other 8 fish on a 3" Catch Co. Shimmer Shad (this is actually a bait we created exclusively for MTB that we'll be featuring in one of our summer boxes.) My "co-angler" blanked but it was also only his 2nd time bass fishing so he gets a pass.

Our boat placed 1st, 2nd place had 7, 3rd had 6, and 4th had 1. Losers will have to compose a sonnet about fishing and recite it at the next company meeting. :P

Here's one of the smallies (not a great pic)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mystery Tackle Box: [url]http://mysterytacklebox.com/[/url]
rgordon83
Game Fish

Re: 5/26/17 MTB Tournament

Postby rgordon83 » May Fri 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Here are some of the fish the other guys picked up...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rgordon83
Game Fish

Postby busse bass man » May Tue 30, 2017 5:51 am

You guys took the intern fishing? The MTB summer intern vid had me cracking up :lol:
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby rgordon83 » May Tue 30, 2017 7:20 am

We needed someone to tie our knots... ;)
rgordon83
Game Fish

Return to Vulcan Lakes (Three Oaks Recreation Area)