Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Fly Swap

17K views 104 replies 13 participants last post by  1080tommy 
#1 ·
Since i see a lot of you are either starting out ( and quite well i must add) or seasoned tyers , i was wondering if any of you were up for a Fly Swap ? We do it all time out here in Colorado on the coloradofisherman.com forum ( im silent_light there ) with great success and enthusiasm.

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/ ... ic=38674.0

For those of you unfamiliar with this, heres how it works :

We get 10-12 tyers signed up
We pick a Theme or Style to tie ( ie: favorite fly, caddis, parachutes, hopper-dropper..)
Then we normally tie 2 to 6 flies of a single ( or double) pattern for each of the other tyers. So if there were 10 signed up, each person would then tie 18 flies total ( or more)

The originator of the swap is the Swap Meister, and handles the collection and distribution of the flies. THis is normally done via mail. However, in the past, we have met on the river and swapped there.

We're in the midst of doing a "Best Fly This Year" swap over on coloradofisherman, where we're trading our best pattern of the past year. Mine is a killer wired caddis pupa, works everywhere there is a hungry fish - betting it would do great in the Driftless ( HINT HINT!!)

So, any of you up for having some good fun trading flies, tying ideas, etc ? Open to ALL abilities !

Jim
JW Custom Flies
Lakewood, Colorado
720 Vise - Pro Staff
http://www.fly-wheel.net

See less See more
#7 ·
Good, got some interest !!

Lets give the signup another week to let others join, and we;ll call it then or when we get to a maximum of 10 people.

As far as theme goes, i know some of you may be beginners or maybe only tie for specific needs, so how about we take a poll of what each of you is most interested in or most proficient at and go from there. This way we can accommodate everyone.

Lets do 3 flys for each person - ony fly pattern/size. THats makes it 27 flies tied by each person ( with 9 others tying ), 30 flies if you are tying some for yourself while youre at it. 3 flies makes it nice on the water and you've got the hot bug working, you'll have a backup and a sample.

Deadline for submission Jan 30, earlier if everyone is done before the deadline.

Please chime in with your ideas for a theme, and we'll vote !

#10 ·
SJS said:
I'll suggest a bass streamer theme.

I'd like tie either some fatal attractions or some marabou streamers tied matuka style.

As an after thought, I'd also enjoy a steelhead theme.
I 2nd on the steelhead them. Some egg patterns and streamers :D

A Bass theme will be cool too!

#11 ·
Yeah I'd like to have a good set of steelhead flies so I can be armed and ready for my first steelhead outing. :D

But the bass flies I'm definitely more familiar with and would use more often so I'm kind of on the edge...

#12 ·
I am in for whatever. I am just concerned that my tying may not be up to par with everyone else's. I guess you gotta learn sometime. I will do my best and see what I can come up with once the final patterns have been selected. I guess now I gotta buy some fly gear for next year. I see another addictive hobby coming up!!!!! :D

#13 ·
Tommy,

THese swaps are never aimed at being great, they are about learning and sharing ideas, tips, techniques... theres always a huge variation in abilities. Just tie what you like to, and take a little something away to help you do better.

#14 ·
This gives me a reason to practice some more steelhead tube flies. :) I know bps and cabelas hold fly tying events too. I wa.t to check it out and learn to tye some new patterns. It is also great for the beginners. I'm excited to swap flies. I'm posting from my phone, so bare with me if anything is mis spelled

#18 ·
Yup I'm in. I haven't been able to get on here lately. Been working like crazy now. At work but on my phone now. Will have time on the weekends to tie flies till work slows. Working 12 to 16 hour days now. :( it never ends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.