Cranes and Hawk

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

Cranes and Hawk

Postby KankRat » Mar Tue 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Beautiful Sandhill Crane posed for me at Cowles Bog, in Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, an awesome place you should visit if you are a wildlife enthusiast. Hawk is a juvenile Coopers in my yard, stalking the visitors to my feeders.

ImageSandhill Crane by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
ImageSandhill Crane by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
ImageJuvenile Coopers Hawk by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
ImageJuvenile Coopers Hawk by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Game Fish

Re: Cranes and Hawk

Postby Rambler » Mar Tue 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Nice!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » Mar Tue 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Love Cowles Bog! Thanks for posting.
Rich D
Game Fish

Postby Rich D » Mar Tue 21, 2017 2:15 pm

BTW, was there any significant outflow coming into the lake?
Rich D
Game Fish

Postby mack » Mar Tue 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Nice pictures, that hawk looks serious.
mack
Game Fish

Postby KankRat » Mar Tue 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Rich D wrote:BTW, was there any significant outflow coming into the lake?

I did not hike to the discharge if that is what you are referring to. keep meaning to fish it someday, as I never have.
KankRat
Game Fish

Postby Rich D » Mar Tue 21, 2017 3:39 pm

The discharge can be good - when there is significant flow.

A few years ago I used to do a combo mission: weighted ruck hiking up and down the dunes, with fishing gear in tow in case the discharge was going strong.

If you can find the ledge where the main flow meets deeper water, the smallies used to stack up there. Also took a brown, saw several gar cruising together one summer afternoon, the first I have ever seen in Lake Michigan proper. At first I actually thought I was watching a small muskie cruise past my feet. Ginormous carp, prolific shad stack up there at times, as well.

Only downside - the significant hike to find out someone shut off the water!

Thanks again for the pics...very cool.
Rich D
Game Fish

Postby KankRat » Mar Tue 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Rich D wrote:The discharge can be good - when there is significant flow.

A few years ago I used to do a combo mission: weighted ruck hiking up and down the dunes, with fishing gear in tow in case the discharge was going strong.

If you can find the ledge where the main flow meets deeper water, the smallies used to stack up there. Also took a brown, saw several gar cruising together one summer afternoon, the first I have ever seen in Lake Michigan proper. At first I actually thought I was watching a small muskie cruise past my feet. Ginormous carp, prolific shad stack up there at times, as well.

Only downside - the significant hike to find out someone shut off the water!

Thanks again for the pics...very cool.

A couple years ago I was running a descent amount of miles and I used to go there occasionally and do a few laps on the trails. Occasionally on a hot summer day I would go down to the beach to cool off. I must have been right there and never put two and two together that the trail was the infamous "Bailey Death March". The discharge must have been off because for the life of me I don't remember it.

I love catching snakes and on one of these runs, I grabbed a HUGE blue racer. It got halfway into the brush, and I tried getting it out but I let it go, as it was in too deep and I didn't want to hurt it. Easily the biggest wild snake I have ever seen. Beautiful slate grey and just totally thick in in the middle. I am pretty sure it would have bit the bejesus out off me. I have been bitten by a lot of snakes. I think this one would have hurt.
KankRat
Game Fish

Postby KankRat » Mar Tue 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Couple neat videos me and my son's did at the dunes. This is a hognose snake. They feed almost exclusively on amphibians, especially toads. They are rear-fanged and venomous, but the venom is specific to amphibians and they totally harmless to humans. Unlike most snakes, it's really hard to get bitten. I understand that toads defense mechanism is to puff themselves up to avoid getting swallowed, but the hognose uses it's fangs to "pop" the toad.
When cornered they put up this hug hissing bluff and do multiple false strikes, then keel over on their backs and play dead. If you flip back over, it will go back belly up. They are pretty dramatic about it, their tongue hangs out the corner of the mouth and the cloaca (bung hole) turns inside out looking like a giant wound. when you away, they will flip back over and slither way when the coast is clear.

https://youtu.be/EVgzU_92HFc
https://youtu.be/u2jhnU6z9Tg

he's alive!!!
https://youtu.be/ER2D2oj8N2Q
KankRat
Game Fish

Postby Brett » Mar Tue 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Wow. Got a new laptop this week and the graphics really do your photography justice, these are amazing. Think I'm going to search through your old posts.
Brett
Fishing Czar

Postby KankRat » Mar Wed 22, 2017 7:23 am

Brett wrote:Wow. Got a new laptop this week and the graphics really do your photography justice, these are amazing. Think I'm going to search through your old posts.

Thanks. glad you like them. If you click on "Mark Kasick, on Flickr" next to the pictures it will take you to my photostream. it's a hodge-podge of stuff. I am behind in updating my albums though.
KankRat
Game Fish

Postby WaterGuy » Mar Wed 22, 2017 9:16 am

Brett wrote:Wow. Got a new laptop this week and the graphics really do your photography justice, these are amazing. Think I'm going to search through your old posts.

x2. Amazing how much of a difference a good screen makes. Great photos!!
WaterGuy
2013 WCF Fantasy Football Champion

Postby Rich D » Mar Wed 22, 2017 10:31 am

I love blue racers. As a kid at Boy Scout camp in Michigan I chased one through tall grass until it shot up a tree and out of my reach for good. Gorgeous animals. I also caught several hog nosed snakes there, which had to suffer the indignity of life inside my duffel bag until the week was over some responsible grown-up type forced me to release them. They were my favorite, by far.

I had no idea we had a population so close to Chicago. Very cool.
Rich D
Game Fish

Postby FISHdank » Mar Wed 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Stunning pictures!
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Wed 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Rich D wrote:I love blue racers. As a kid at Boy Scout camp in Michigan I chased one through tall grass until it shot up a tree and out of my reach for good. Gorgeous animals. I also caught several hog nosed snakes there, which had to suffer the indignity of life inside my duffel bag until the week was over some responsible grown-up type forced me to release them. They were my favorite, by far.

Yep - blue racers are among the most beautiful snakes in the midwest - maybe in the world. When I was a kid we lived at a scout camp in MI where my dad was a director. We used to see them hanging from trees. Caught a few. I also managed once to get bitten by a hognose.

What I find interesting is that the 'threat' display hognoses do (flattening their heads) is basically an imitation of a cobra. This makes no sense considering there aren't any cobras (that I know of) living anywhere near hognoses.

Cool stuff.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JB » Mar Thu 23, 2017 8:49 am

Awesome share. Two thumbs up! Beautiful colors on the sandhill. They are in the move. Heard them the other day flying over Darien. Usually don't get to see close up pics like that since they fly by so far up.
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » Mar Thu 23, 2017 9:27 am

Rambler...Owassippee?
Rich D
Game Fish

Postby travelingfisherman » Mar Fri 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Nice pictures thank you for posting them.
travelingfisherman
Pan Fish

Postby threeats407 » Apr Sun 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Excellent. Gonna add your contact on Flickr
threeats407
Game Fish

Postby JustinCarf » Apr Fri 28, 2017 9:51 am

Fantastic shots, Mark!! Really love that one of the crane all flared up. Were you using a mono or tripod for these shots? I saw the rest of the stats on your Flickr account.
JustinCarf
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » May Tue 02, 2017 10:10 am

JustinCarf wrote:Fantastic shots, Mark!! Really love that one of the crane all flared up. Were you using a mono or tripod for these shots? I saw the rest of the stats on your Flickr account.

Thanks glad you like them. No tripod or monopod- handheld. The lens has VR.
KankRat
Game Fish

Postby BassCaster » May Tue 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Very nice pics :thumbup:
I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol, women and fishing. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby travelingfisherman » May Thu 04, 2017 11:23 pm

Nice pictures, thank you for posting them.
travelingfisherman
Pan Fish

Postby Brett » May Thu 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Unreal colors. Do develop these too? I took a photography class in high school, nearly 20 years ago omfg. Would have been more into it if we were this good.
Brett
Fishing Czar

Postby KankRat » May Fri 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Brett wrote:Unreal colors. Do develop these too? I took a photography class in high school, nearly 20 years ago omfg. Would have been more into it if we were this good.

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate you noticing. They are all shot digitally and yes I "develop" them, the term is usually referred to as "post processing" or "post". I shoot a RAW image- which means an uncompressed image as opposed to a jpeg. It's a much larger file, and there is way more data there than if you set the camera to record a jpeg. So it gives you FAR more latitude to adjust the image for color, contrast and exposure and you can really devote 100% to worrying about stuff like freezing movement, making sure the important stuff is in focus and worry about the other stuff later on. So I basically worry about getting a good sharp shot in the field, then I develop it in a program called Lightroom. Usually it's about 80% there, the better the lighting the less I have to do.
If you have a camera set to record jpegs a little computer in the camera that does basically the same thing and then compresses it to a smaller more useable file. The trouble is that you are stuck with that small file and if you need to fix anything, like say a deep shadow or a seemingly blown out highlight- you can't do it.
A lot of people really dislike post processing, and some consider it "cheating" (which to me, is stupid) I rather enjoy it I the same way I loved doing black and white prints in a darkroom. 99% of the stuff you see from me has some level of processing but I try to keep it natural and closer to what your eye sees, which the program in the camera in a lot of cases really can't do.
KankRat
Game Fish

Postby busse bass man » May Thu 11, 2017 6:02 am

These are some amazing pics
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Return to Photography