Shadow Bass

Skokie Lagoons - Cook County, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Shadow Bass

Postby Lagoon Local » Jun Mon 12, 2017 10:13 am

After a tough couple of hours at pool 4 and 5 on Saturday when I didn't come close to a bite, I decided to change it up a bit and tried pools 3 & 4 on Sunday. I've fished the area around the spillway before, but this time decide to move further north...

The DNR have done a pretty good job clearing the pathway and there are plenty of opening to get a line wet... but at 3:30 in the afternoon and temps in the 90s I was unable to find any dumb fish... until I came across a small tree that was creating an area of really dark shade close to the bank. It looked "fishy" and definitely worth a cast...

Wacky rigged Kaitech salty core stick bait, with Gamakatsu weedless wacky hook, I gently flicked the lure onto the shade (where the tree branches were touching the water) hitting the branches and then dropping into about 2 foot of water... I couldn't see any fish, but you know when you have "that feeling...." That fat lazy bass couldn't believe his luck and sucked down my lure as soon as it hit the water :-). With the fish only 6 feet from the bank, it didn't take long to land, it was my only bite of the weekend, but at almost 20 inches you won'y find me complaining! :-)

FYI - with so many ticks this year, I've taken to throwing my cloths straight into the dryer when I get home - apparently 15 minutes is enough to kill the nasty little critters - but I blast them for an hour just to make sure. Since I started I haven't found any more unwelcome hitchhikers
Shadow Bass 06-11-17 (resized).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lagoon Local

Re: Shadow Bass

Postby joetrain » Jun Mon 12, 2017 10:26 am

Ooh a horse. Nice reward.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby busse bass man » Jun Tue 13, 2017 5:19 am

Nice tank. Shaded spots will definitely be holding fish with these hot temps and sun blazing.
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby Brandon » Jun Wed 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Great looking bass!! Way to beat the skunk. That makes working all day for one worth it.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Fishing Czar

Postby cRaZy_BoY » Jun Fri 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Beautiful fish!
cRaZy_BoY
Fishing Fanatic

Return to Skokie Lagoons