DPR Native Species "Tank"

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

DPR Native Species "Tank"

Postby Steve » Jun Mon 19, 2017 8:52 am

My son and I started setting up a Native Species tank for this summer. Trying to get one of each of the DPR natives that we can catch for the tank. We will releas e them all when he goes back to school.

From the weekend we have a Grass Shrimp (separate tank)spotted bass and what looks like a little Warmouth. There is a larger Warmouth hiding under a rock. The weather and water level make it hard to find anything lately around my stretch.

Its only a 15G so we have to keep them on the small side. All decorations are from the DPR as well. Its a blast catching little Minnows with the net from the river and watching the Bass suck them right up. He or the larger warmouth have also eaten 3 crayfish.. which we missed.. but they gone! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: DPR Native Species "Tank"

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 19, 2017 8:58 am

Reminds me of the time my BF & I were fishing Beck way back when. I caught some 'gills & threw one in a bucket & took it home. The next Monday I took it to school & threw it in the big tank in the biology lab.

It ate every other damned thing in the tank. The teacher wasn't happy. :lol: Got an 'A' anyway.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Mon 19, 2017 9:10 am

Theres quite a few pencil sized pike from this year's hatch swimming around. They're about 4-5inches but will be 7 or 8 by the end of August.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Steve » Jun Mon 19, 2017 9:16 am

They are on the menu! Thats my sons Targeted Mini Species..
Steve
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Jun Mon 19, 2017 9:42 am

i always see those little pike in late july when the water gets clear. I checked on the dpr yesterday for a short trip and was surprised by how stained it was. maybe 6 inch visibility at best in northern cook
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 19, 2017 10:11 am

urbanHog312 wrote:maybe 6 inch visibility at best in northern cook

Same in the River Forest stretch. It had cleared up until the last rain. All stained again.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Jun Mon 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Very cool. River Trails Nature ctr has a live display that is pretty nice too but don't think they have minnows and smaller species.
threeats407
Game Fish

Postby EAS » Jun Mon 19, 2017 4:32 pm

How fun. We kept two little madtoms from the Fox. They hid in our volcano and only showed themselves at night.

When I was kid I kept some of our native species and always enjoyed feeding the largemouth bass big crickets that I found in our garage in the summer. Topwater action!

Fish are cool!
Eric
~ Fish happens.

"People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- BSG
EAS
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Gotta wonder about the legality of this sort of thing. I suspect the DNR wouldn't approve.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Steve » Jun Mon 19, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm sure they wouldn't but what my kid is learning from watching them is well worth it.
Steve
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby EAS » Jun Mon 19, 2017 7:37 pm

Any native animal I've ever kept and studied as a pet has always been released back where I found it after only a short while ... with the exception of a neat tiger salamander I found crossing a local country road. Kept that one for an entire year and released it at a low spot deep in a forest.
Eric
~ Fish happens.

"People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- BSG
EAS
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Steve » Jun Tue 20, 2017 8:28 am

A few pics and an Article about the Grass Shrimp. We were pretty jazzed to come across it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/0 ... 16681.html

Mississippi grass shrimp like the dozen or so found in the Des Plaines River have been rather uncommon in Illinois due to soil erosion that has clouded the water and killed many of the plants the shrimp feed on. The LCFPD calls the shrimp’s discovery “encouraging” as their presence is an indication of cleaner water and improving habitat around the Des Plaines River area.

According to the LCFPD, the only other known locations are in the Kankakee River and Otter Creek in Kane County.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jun Tue 20, 2017 10:10 am

Rambler wrote:I caught some 'gills & threw one in a bucket & took it home. The next Monday I took it to school & threw it in the big tank in the biology lab.

It ate every other damned thing in the tank.

It might have been a green sunfish. A green sunfish killed absolutely all the fish in my native species tank, including largemouth that were 4x bigger than it.

Legality: The only thing I see mentioned that would be a problem if stopped, would be having mini-pike in your possession while fishing.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Steve » Jun Tue 20, 2017 11:12 am

RonG wrote:Legality: The only thing I see mentioned that would be a problem if stopped, would be having mini-pike in your possession while fishing.

Thanks Ron, if it doesn't fit in my water bottle, it isnt coming to the tank. And I have yet to have my water bottle checked.... :mrgreen:
Steve
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jun Tue 20, 2017 11:21 am

Just don't drink it accidentally. Mini-pike have mini-teeth. :wink:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Des Plaines River