Digital Scales

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Digital Scales

Postby Paul S » Mar Tue 10, 2009 5:50 am

Anybody have a recommendation on a digital scale? The Cabela's digital received some bad reviews. The Berkley Boga-grip with the digital scale looks promising. What about the Rapala? I don't want to spend much more than $30. Any advice is appreciated.
Paul S
Fishing Czar

Re: Digital Scales

Postby toothdoc » Mar Tue 10, 2009 7:54 am

I have had the Berkley for several years and have been quite happy with it. Don't expect a $20 to be as accurate as a Boca though.
What would we all do without fishing?
toothdoc
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Paul S » Mar Tue 10, 2009 8:05 am

toothdoc wrote:I have had the Berkley for several years and have been quite happy with it. Don't expect a $20 to be as accurate as a Boca though.

Thanks Doc. I'm leaning towards the Berkley. LOL- I know they won't be as good as the Boca Grips. Boca Grips are awesome but I can't justify the cost. I'm just hoping whatever I get is somewhat reliable.
Paul S
Fishing Czar

Postby Jaybomber354 » Mar Tue 10, 2009 8:20 am

my brother just bought a rapala digital scale it seems decent but we havent caught anything to weight with it so i wish i could be of more help

but those boca grips do look sweet they are wat like $50 right?
Jaybomber354
Fishing Czar

Postby toothdoc » Mar Tue 10, 2009 8:27 am

The Boca brand is over $100 I believe. They are usually rated the best for a reason, but I could never justify the cost either. I think that the Berkley is a good alternative that doesn't break the bank.
toothdoc
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Islandfisher » Mar Tue 10, 2009 12:27 pm

I won have owned the berkly scale for two seasons now and have no complaints.
If you're fishing slow and not catching anything, fish slower.
Islandfisher
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby svslider » Mar Tue 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Its not digital but its the highest quality scale on market. I saw the full sized 100 dollar retail lipper gripper for 35.00 This is the best deal out there!! - http://www.evolutionproductsinc.com/pro ... rod=LIP26S
svslider
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby toothdoc » Mar Tue 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Here is the correct link for that product. It does look like a pretty good deal.

http://www.evolutionproductsinc.com/pro ... prod=ECD44
toothdoc
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby WrenchingnFishing » Mar Tue 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Boga Grips are the way to go! :mrgreen:
Some People Think Spending A Lot Of Time In A Tree Stand Or On The Water Makes You Cool... I Just Thought It Made Ya Lucky!

Proud Member of WCF!
WrenchingnFishing
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby piker84 » Mar Tue 10, 2009 2:40 pm

I have a berkley digital scale. It isn't a grip style, just a little hook on it. It weighs to fifty pounds, is pretty damn accurate, and wasn't more than 20 or 30 bucks. I think it's plenty good enough for most things you need to weigh.
piker84
Fishing Czar

Postby FishinMatt » Mar Tue 10, 2009 2:49 pm

I forget the brand that I was using at the tournies, but it is pretty nice. It puts a death grip on the fish, so no worries about them flopping off the hook. The only issue is that to be completely accurate I have to zero it b/w fish. I'll take a look at it later to find out what model it is.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby svslider » Mar Tue 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Well I ordered it, no more guessing for me! The lipper gripper is accurate enough that you can send it to the igfa(they keep the fish records) for calibration and then its accurate enough to weigh official records.
svslider
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WrenchingnFishing » Mar Tue 10, 2009 3:48 pm

svslider wrote:Well I ordered it, no more guessing for me! The lipper gripper is accurate enough that you can send it to the igfa(they keep the fish records) for calibration and then its accurate enough to weigh official records.

You are 100% correct. I have the Boga Grip and they say it is more accurate than any digital scale as a digital scale can be inacurate over time. The Lipper Gripper is the same as the Boga Grip. Totally worth the money! Accurate as can be! :D
Some People Think Spending A Lot Of Time In A Tree Stand Or On The Water Makes You Cool... I Just Thought It Made Ya Lucky!

Proud Member of WCF!
WrenchingnFishing
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brandon » Mar Tue 10, 2009 5:50 pm

I have a Rapala 50# scale. i don't know how accurate it is or not. its accurate enough for me. it was only like $25 when i first bought it. Opened it up and it didn't work so when I exchanged it (at BPS) after it had went on sale for like $19. so for not much money at all, its pretty cool. would like to have one with a gripper though.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Fishing Czar

Postby kucasiomen » Apr Wed 19, 2017 2:02 am

I know the etekcity weight scale which is the best seller on Amazon and the price is below 20$
kucasiomen

Postby travelingfisherman » May Wed 31, 2017 4:37 pm

You can find many decent digital scales on Ebay or Amazon for less than $20.
travelingfisherman
Pan Fish

Postby jonny2can » Jun Thu 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Rapala digital here.. very accurate and battery life is great.. great way to test it is when at the checkout lane kindly ask the cashier to weigh one of your grocery bags on their scanner and then test it to see if it matches with your fishing scale.. mine matched to the ounce!
jonny2can
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jun Thu 01, 2017 2:46 pm

"Oh no I left the fish scale in the car!" - freakin' hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBvNMe81oY&t=1s
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Jun Thu 01, 2017 2:55 pm

I have one, a Rapala I think. I used it once or maybe twice, it was accurate from what I remember, although I found it more hassle than what it was worth- it's been collecting dust somewhere in my basement for a few years now.

I'm not worried so much about size/weight of what I catch anymore. It is what it is and they are what they are, I have no need to impress anyone with that info these days. To each their own though I suppose.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jun Thu 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Lip_Yanker wrote: It is what it is and they are what they are, I have no need to impress anyone with that info these days.

Amen to that bro. I stopped weighing fish after my PB LMB at Skokie Lagoons years ago. 6.75 lbs. 22.5" long. I figure there's no way I'll ever do better.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby travelingfisherman » Jun Thu 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Most bass fishermen would want to know how much a big bass weighs, so it would be best to bring a scale when you bass fish. You don't want to be that guy who swears he caught a +8 pounder just because the bass was over 23-24 inches, when there are plenty of +24 inch bass that weigh less than 6 pounds.
travelingfisherman
Pan Fish

Postby MrB » Jun Fri 09, 2017 7:06 am

I have had the cabelas scale for a few years, I generally don't weigh fish. Lately, my son and some partners are interested in fish weights so I have been using it more and I am not impressed. Out of all the money I spend on fishing gear I cannot justify spending over 30 bucks on a scale. I like the idea of digital, but then you have to deal with dead batteries when you need it most and I like the gripper style over the hook. The one that looks pretty nice is the gambler but its 60 bucks and about 30 bucks more than I want to spend.
MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby travelingfisherman » Jun Sat 10, 2017 10:17 pm

I only weigh bass if they are at least 24 inches long and thick, anything less than that may get a couple pictures and released quickly.
travelingfisherman
Pan Fish

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Tue 13, 2017 11:02 pm

I use a realsonar one that looks identical to the Rapala one. has a 99 lb. max (doubt ill ever need it that high) and comes with lip gripper and I believe a 36" tape measure built in. If I'm not mistaken I spent $24 on it on ebay brand new. put a 35 lb bag of cat litter on the hook and the screen displayed 35 lbs. exactly, so I'll gladly stand behind it.
1*
Woohoodude11
Minnow

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information