Wacky rigging

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Wacky rigging

Postby PuddleJumper » Jun Sat 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Any one who ha ever bought a pack of Senko's or other similar baits might appreciate this little tip. A bag of these things are not exactly cheap nor are the kits you can buy to wacky rig them. Sure, you can just bury the hook through the middle of the bait but I bet that worm is either gone or trashed after just one fish. Even casting tears these baits apart pretty quickly. I priced a Wacky Rig Kit from Walmart at $21 and that got me thinking. This is what I came up with and it has worked out perfectly for me and didn't cost me a penny other than buying the hooks that I prefer to use. All you need is two simple things and if you have children in the house theres a good chance you already have them. 1st is some of those little rubber bands that the kids make those little bracelets from. They come in every color imaginable so it not hard to match with a bait color. These rubber bands are a little large for the worm so you have to triple rap them around the bait. This is where the 2nd thing comes into play. Triple rapping it can be tough to do with out tearing the bait up. So what I found is you can take a cap from a old Crayola washable marker(the thick ones) and chop off the bottom 3/4 inch with a razor knife. The caps are the perfect size to slide the worm right through. You can now triple wrap the rubber band around the cap, put the worm in to the cap to the desired spot and simpley slide the rubber band onto the bait. Its works like a charm and its easy, give it a try! With the money you save from not buying a kit you can take that money and get 3 more bags of Senko's. :D
IMG_1405.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PuddleJumper
Game Fish

Re: Wacky rigging

Postby KankRat » Jun Sat 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks. Will give it a try.
KankRat
Game Fish

Postby badger75 » Jun Sun 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Looks interesting. Love saving money. I think Rambler says an AACB or something.
How about a picture of the finished product?
badger75
Minnow

Postby PuddleJumper » Jun Sun 18, 2017 5:46 pm

The little purple thing with the white rubber band around it is the finished product. Just slide the worm through to desired spot and push off the rubber band onto the worm and over the elbow of the hook.
PuddleJumper
Game Fish

Postby J.W. » Jun Sun 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Nice idea! I have the kit with the O-rings, but I'm convinced the wacky rig action gets more bites when rigged the conventional way -- with the hook right through the plastic. There's something about the orientation of the hook going perpendicular to the body that just gives that shimmy, whether it's being twitched slowly, or worked fast with the ends of the bait almost slapping together. I bought the soft plastics repair glue from TW, and I personally think that's the way to go. Can't save them all, but it's a nice compromise.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 19, 2017 8:49 am

badger75 wrote:I think Rambler says an AACB or something.

The AACB appreciates the plug. Unfortunately the organization is too cheap to pay commissions. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 19, 2017 10:15 am

BTW - I really like this idea. But J.W. has a point. And there's an answer. If you put on 2 rubber bands in an X configuration you'd be able to place the hook in between the arms of the X thereby keeping it perpendicular to the worm.

I might give this a try tomorrow...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby MrB » Jun Mon 19, 2017 3:39 pm

I will try this, great idea!
MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby pinecone » Jun Tue 20, 2017 9:18 am

MrB wrote:I will try this, great idea!

X2
"....you're killin' me Smalls"!
- Hamilton 'Ham' Porter, aka; 'The Great Hambino'.
pinecone
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Jun Tue 20, 2017 9:41 am

I use the little rubber bands from when my son used to wear braces. Same result I'm sure... and I use an old Sharpie marker body to apply them.

8)
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Jun Tue 20, 2017 10:02 am

I saw a thing like this on a TV commercial yesterday to help geezers put on their socks.

Nice and simple! Good one...thanks for posing.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ash13brook » Jun Tue 20, 2017 11:05 am

Today's my 63rd birthday.
I don't give a darn about wacky rigging, but I wouldn't mind anything that makes putting my socks on easier!

Matt
ash13brook
Minnow

Postby joetrain » Jun Tue 20, 2017 11:06 am

Happy birthday. It's summer so forget the socks.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jonny2can » Jun Tue 20, 2017 11:58 am

21 dollars for wacky tool.. I don't remember it being that expensive
jonny2can
Game Fish

Postby jonny2can » Jun Tue 20, 2017 11:59 am

Good luck making the X with the Rings on senkos.. tears them up.. maybe yum dingers won't but I waste more senkos doing the x.. defeats the purpose
jonny2can
Game Fish

Postby RonG » Jun Tue 20, 2017 12:19 pm

ash13brook wrote:Today's my 63rd birthday.
I don't give a darn about wacky rigging, but I wouldn't mind anything that makes putting my socks on easier!

Matt

Personally, I prefer Crappie Sliders. I couldn't remember what the gadget was called, but quickly websearched and found it.

https://www.sockslider.com/?mid=9018997

RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Tackle & Gear