Rubber vs felt

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Rubber vs felt

Postby Rambler » Jun Sat 17, 2017 10:21 am

Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Rubber vs felt

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Sat 17, 2017 7:44 pm

If you are a long time wader you already know felt grips and rubber slips.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Jun Sun 18, 2017 10:58 am

I'm not convinced there are any absolutes on this. As in most things there's room for all solutions depending on the situation.

For example I was wading a stream 2 weeks ago that was mostly sand & mud bottom with really high, steep banks. I suspect felt would not have worked as well as my lug-soled waders in that situation. If it had been strewn with moss-covered rocks I suspect I would have been wishing for felt.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Sun 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Rambler wrote:I'm not convinced there are any absolutes on this. As in most things there's room for all solutions depending on the situation.

For example I was wading a stream 2 weeks ago that was mostly sand & mud bottom with really high, steep banks.

Wading in mud huh? Well then you might as wear gym shoes cause mud sticks to everything. Don't matter what you're wearing in that situation. No shoe surface will be better than the other. Spikes or cleats? I played baseball till I was 30 and never found a cure for wet mud and sand in the cleats.

The practical thing is being safe that's where felt has no match in slip resistance.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Sun 18, 2017 1:32 pm

My tank rubber cleat cabelas work decent in mud and steep banks but really it comes down to being smart and figuring out how best to negotiate your path both in the water and out of the water. That includes 3 point of contact and using stable roots when ascending and descending steep banks. Thick rubber cleats are absolute necessity in snow. I don't really use felt much anymore unless I'm wearing waders when I yak or will 90% of the time on hard bottom. No reason for felt in chicago area if you were to buy one pair of wading boots they would have to be lugged
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 19, 2017 8:55 am

Aux Pleins wrote: I played baseball till I was 30 and never found a cure for wet mud and sand in the cleats.

I'll keep this in mind next time I play ball with the fish. :D

And totally agree with Ski about getting up & down steep banks. It gets even more challenging the far side of 60. When I was wading the stream I mentioned above I was sooo happy for the thick stands of Bluejoint grass that grow along its course. Grabbing ahold of big clumps - plus my cleated waders - is what got me into the stream & back out of it. That and my well-padded ass.

BTW - chest waders are GREAT anti-tick devices. Bush whacked through big fields of tall grass (put me in mind of Eric Burdon) and came out tick free!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Mon 19, 2017 9:35 am

Blasphemy...

I'm starting to realize we don't wade the same places.....

You guys are more like wall climbers, should wear a harness for the bank climbing.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 19, 2017 10:12 am

Aux Pleins wrote:should wear a harness for the bank climbing.

Good idea - as long as you or some other strong, young guy is available to haul my ass out of the stream. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Mon 19, 2017 11:54 am

It's easier in deep snow you can beaver slide. One trick going up banks is don't try and step up fully often I just use my knee on top of the bank. Once you get a knee up top you just lean forward and can use your arms to grab stuff. It's shockingly an easy way to help getting up. Number one thing for dpr is don't enter or exit the river behind laydowns there is often a hole there else a pile of soft silt aND that's when you can get in sinking trouble. By wading I've learned a lot of why pike are found next to shore often it's amazing to find deeper water in areas that you wouldn't know if shore fishing or kayaking.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 19, 2017 12:21 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Blasphemy...

I'm starting to realize we don't wade the same places.....

Or we just have different approaches.

This all reminds me of (and sorry about this) back in the day when I was really into cross-country skiing. When I 1st got into it I did a lot of research on the kinds of skis that were available. There were both waxables & waxless. Among waxless there were all sorts of options - ladder patterns, fish scale patterns, and others. There were even some that used (I'm not making this up) strips of beaver or otter skins attached to the bottom of the skis for traction.

The 1st skiis I got were waxless & they were great. And I found I could ski quite well with them. After a few years I got some waxables. And then I had to learn what waxes to use under various conditions. And I found that there were conditions where the waxless skis were better than the waxables no matter what wax I used.

And that's not to say other people had the same experience or approach I had. I talked with some who looked down on any waxless skis and others who thought waxless were hot shit. It's not just beauty that's in the eye of the beholder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Jun Mon 19, 2017 12:53 pm

The best boot sole I have encountered is carbide studded felt.

Wading in general, especially around slippery rocks is really hard on the body. Felt seems to be about the best at preventing face plants on algae covered rocks. These days I much prefer the kayak than wading.
KankRat
Game Fish

Postby EAS » Jun Mon 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Rambler, what in particular did you find interesting about the article you linked to?
Eric
~ Fish happens.

"People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- BSG
EAS
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 19, 2017 3:18 pm

EAS wrote:Rambler, what in particular did you find interesting about the article you linked to?

The whole thing. I always find discussions like this interesting. For example, I didn't know that felt was 1st in popularity until 2008. Reading about what other, more knowledgeable folks have to say about any subject is usually enlightening.

I attended a lecture several years back about the 'self-correcting' aspect of the internet. The speaker talked about how wonderful it was that the internet made it possible for people to share info and to correct misconceptions & mistakes. I wonder what he'd say these days with all the fake news & other nonsense we see daily.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby EAS » Jun Mon 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Gotcha. Seemed like most didn't both to read it and figured it was a "which one is better" debate. The last paragraph sums it up nicely...

Invasives are the reason for rubberizing a fishing trip, but the debate isn’t as simple as changing soles. Soles attach to boots. Boots wrap around waders. Waders have gravel guards. All of those layers are good places to hide bad stuff. The invasive argument goes further soles and anglers, and the states they fish in, are realizing that. That’s why the list of states banning felt isn’t getting longer. If the rubber versus felt debate did anything in the name of water, it raised awareness for properly cleaning your equipment, boots soles and beyond.

“Take responsibility and clean your gear,” Prestin says. “If you care for your stuff in an appropriate way, you’re not going to have a negative impact on the places you fish.”

Wonder how many folks out there ever bother to rinse off, let alone scrub off with any amount of effort, their wading gear!
Eric
~ Fish happens.

"People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- BSG
EAS
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Jun Mon 19, 2017 5:22 pm

I attended a lecture several years back about the 'self-correcting' aspect of the internet. The speaker talked about how wonderful it was that the internet made it possible for people to share info and to correct misconceptions & mistakes. I wonder what he'd say these days with all the fake news & other nonsense we see daily.

Not to get off topic but I saw a study of Wikipedia that showed that it was pretty good at correcting errors when someone wrote something wrong that went against generally accepted conventional wisdom on a topic but that it was bad at correcting errors when the conventional wisdom turned out to be wrong. Not only were people slow to try and change the entry, when people did try to submit a change it often got rejected by others that were holding onto the conventional wisdom.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Jun Mon 19, 2017 5:51 pm

EAS wrote:Gotcha. Seemed like most didn't both to read it and figured it was a "which one is better" debate. The last paragraph sums it up nicely...

Invasives are the reason for rubberizing a fishing trip, but the debate isn’t as simple as changing soles. Soles attach to boots. Boots wrap around waders. Waders have gravel guards. All of those layers are good places to hide bad stuff. The invasive argument goes further soles and anglers, and the states they fish in, are realizing that. That’s why the list of states banning felt isn’t getting longer. If the rubber versus felt debate did anything in the name of water, it raised awareness for properly cleaning your equipment, boots soles and beyond.

“Take responsibility and clean your gear,” Prestin says. “If you care for your stuff in an appropriate way, you’re not going to have a negative impact on the places you fish.”

Wonder how many folks out there ever bother to rinse off, let alone scrub off with any amount of effort, their wading gear!

I knew about it from going up to Wisconsin trout fishing. I read about the gill lice and the DNR thought it was being transferred stream to stream by fishermen.

http://www.dailyclimate.org/tdc-newsroo ... /gill-lice
KankRat
Game Fish

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Mon 19, 2017 11:23 pm

I hose off my waders and hang them to dry after each outing. I brush and hose the boots in and out after every outing. Do the same with water shoes or sandals when they are in the river. Very 1st thing I do when I pull in the driveway clean the apparel and open the lure boxes I used so they can dry out quickly.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Tackle & Gear