Beck Lake Goose Egg

Beck Lake - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Beck Lake Goose Egg

Postby Rambler » Apr Mon 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Hit Beck early Friday to shake down my new reel.

Breezy. Started out on the West side throwing a keitech. Got one hit & then nothing until Beck ate the keitech. Decided to walk around the North end of the lake via the outlet. Wet, wet, wet. So glad the Brits invented Wellingtons. Even glader I had them on.

Switched to a weedless craw - one I found at Beck a year or so ago. No takers until Beck ate it. What Beck giveth Beck taketh away. Switched to a weedless Dardevel. Still no takers but I managed to keep it.

Lots of birds. Scared up a great blue heron in the outlet. Yellow-rumped warblers playing in the tree tops looking for bugs and a trio of cormorants watching from a tree. There were two big flocks of blue-wing teals on the lake and the usual squads of Canada geese letting everybody know how pissed they were about everything.

But the highlight was the solitary loon cruising & diving near me. I tried to get some shots but except for one, every time I tried he dove.

Walking back to the car via the East side I ran into 2 young guys fishing with float & flies. By that time I'd tied on a buzzbait (the wind had dropped). One of them asked me what type of lure I was using so I showed him & explained a little how to use it. They were both newbies - never saw a buzzbait before. I told them if they were looking for fishing info they should check out WCF. One said he already had. Sounded like he's a lurker. I told him to post questions & that most of the people on the site were happy to help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Beck Lake Goose Egg

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Mon 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Rambler wrote:
and the usual squads of Canada geese letting everybody know how pissed they were about everything.

I laughed at this. It's so true this time of year.

Me and a friend hit up Whalon on my boat on Sunday morning before all my Easter festivities began, and got humbled with a goose egg, just not a literal goose egg. More a Blackhawks style goose egg.(Man, it's been tough to watch.) But... the islands on the lake had to be loaded with 100+ noisy, cranky, geese, fighting each other non-stop. Females are all on the nests. We stopped counting at 27 nests being sat on... on one island the size of maybe a small house. One pair even had babies already, just barely moving around outside the nest.

To say the Canadian goose is overpopulated would be a ridiculous understatement...
SmalliesNEyes
Fishing Czar

Postby threeats407 » Apr Mon 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Excellent treat seeing that loon!
threeats407
Pan Fish

Postby urbanHog312 » Apr Tue 18, 2017 10:19 am

i know that loon well, now. you forgot to run in to my favorite group of fowl, the coot family. they're the most fun to watch.

friday afternoon - 1 bass on a gulp minnow
saturday am - 3 bass on a red eye, 1 on a chatter (also waited at the gate from 630-730)
sunday pm - 1 bass on a chatter
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 18, 2017 4:29 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:i know that loon well, now. you forgot to run in to my favorite group of fowl, the coot family. they're the most fun to watch.

Actually I did see them. But we old coots have an agreement that we not mention our where abouts. Might get us in trouble...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Apr Tue 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Was out monday... no fish but this here family was next to me:

goslings17.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby cyanatic » Apr Tue 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Sorry you got skunked, Rambler, but at least I don't feel so bad. Hit Beck a couple weeks ago and nada. I went back to Beck this morning (Tuesday) after I dropped my daughter off at school. Worked my way around a good 1/3 of the lake and tried everything from topwater frogs (water was calm when I first got there) to jerkbaits, crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, and even tried my old standby, the shaky head. All I caught was weeds and a slight wind burn when the wind starting howling around 11 am. Cracked me up when you said "Beck giveth and Beck taketh away". I lost my prized walleye pattern shad rap that did so well for me last spring. Not the first lure I've lost at Beck and probably not the last!

I wonder if someone from WCF was out there today. When I first got to Beck, there was a guy in a blue yak and a mask. It was kind of funny at one point because we were both casting around the same sunken log.
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Pan Fish

Return to Beck Lake